Thursday, July 23, 2009

What to Write

This is my fifth attempt at writing something beyond hello world. I find myself as sheepish and shy in confronting this blog as I am in talking to a man I have a horrible crush on- tongue-tied, awkward, and generally stating things of little or no importance. I should state that I could perhaps be clever and have a blog about the art world, or arts management, or museum/art education, but quite frankly, I feel that the idea of having a blog addressing those issues when so many others do the same, and a good job of it, would not only be repetitive, but would feel like more of a chore than engaging scholarly discourse.
I guess in writing this blog, I am determining it's function in a very organic way. For one, Snarp, Stuff, and Things is soo non specific, that it is difficult to align it with other blogs, websites, or any general online material that maybe related. I am sure if I just put the word art in the title of the blog, there would be a lot more data cross referencing that could be done, it would be easier for people to find and read my blog, but at this point, I have no interest in creating a readership. Rather, I would like to freely play with the medium, crafting language and gaze, and moving on from there.
With that said, I do journal, and I feel rather old school about it. The act of writing with a pen and paper seems like a much more fluid, and less abrasive physical act then stroking the keyboard. There is something to be said about being able to scratch something out and there be evidence of it, rather than pressing a delete button, and a mistake or error being erased forever. Being able to read the emotion from the pressure of the pen to paper or the slanted angles on the letter. Journaling for me is direct, and leaves traces of information that the hyper mediation of the computer does not reveal. Journaling is personal, meditative, informative, introspective, and nuanced.
Blogging is....well, I am not quite sure what it is yet. But there is potential of what it can be and as I figure out what and how to write, I think it will become more clear. For good measure, I am including this link http://www.problogger.net/archives/2005/02/05/what-is-a-blog/ which gives multiple answers to the question, "What is a Blog". Although a dated question, it still is an important one to ask in considering the content you would like to provide. I guess one of the best answers is a blog is dependant on what you write. So now, what to write............

No comments:

Post a Comment